Thursday, December 8, 2011

I think we're haunted...

Ok.

I know that there are perfectly logical explanations for the goings on that I am about to divulge, I just don't know what they are.

Let me preface by saying that I live in my grandparent’s house. I moved in after they went to a rest home, and they both passed away shortly thereafter.

Last night was a very restless night. I woke up to the light of my touch light, which is all the way over in my bathroom, but I can see it clearly from where I sleep. This happens sometimes, always in the middle of the night. Just every once in a while it comes on, on its dimmest setting.

Usually it does not bother me, I push my first thoughts of ghosts out of my mind otherwise my imagination will get out of hand. Besides, what ghost would do that? I can't think of any dead people that I know who are obnoxious enough to do that. I think that it was probably just some kind of weird power surge (I don't know what a power surge includes, but why not?) or maybe a short of some kind.

But why is it always in the middle of the night? The time of day that my mind is most likely to run away with me. And last night it was on its brightest setting which hasn't ever happened before. It has to be touched 3 times for it to be on the brightest setting. So of course, being the person that I am, I was a little unsettled.

But I pushed it out of my brain long enough for me to fall asleep again.

And then, it happened again. I woke up an hour later to the same thing. This time I was a little freaked out, and I unplugged the dang thing.

I go to sleep and proceed to have my least favorite type of nightmares. The ghosty type. I have these pesky dreams sometimes, and some of them are so real that I still have not completely convinced myself that they were actually dreams. The last one basically consisted of me waking up in my bed, feeling something invisible getting into bed with me, and then pressing me down so hard that I couldn’t move any part of my body, I couldn’t even breathe. I woke up with my heart beating out of my chest. That one was real, real freaky. And hopefully just a dream.

The one I had last night was more obviously a dream, but still flipping scary. It usually occurs to me that I am dreaming whilst in the dream, but last night that did not happen. I had the ability to feel ghosts, I would run into them sometimes in my house. I was like the ghost whisperer, but without actually being able to see them, and without the easy charm of Jennifer Love Hewitt. Anyway, there was a particularly annoying ghost, and my mom told me I had to herd it into this closet, board it up, and never go in there again. I was thinking “can’t ghosts just float through the walls and boards?” But apparently not. Anyway, it was a very stressful and long and scary dream.

So, I am willing to believe that my stupid touch light is just on the fritz. However, that does not explain the remotes in my living room.

Every 6 months or so, one of our remotes goes missing. Perfectly regular and unexciting, I know. BUT. The first time it happened, I looked everywhere. It wasn’t anywhere in the living room. So for some strange reason, I decided to look clear across the house in the bathroom cabinet. And that is where it was. I figured that it was either my sleepy sister or her son that had done it on their way to bed when they were staying with me a few days prior. She swore that it couldn’t have been her, she doesn’t sleep walk, or anything like that. I still thought that it was probably one of them.

And then the next remote went missing a few months later. We tore the living room apart. Our couch swallows things, so I looked in every crack, under the couch, behind the couch. It was driving me nuts. It was nowhere. I swear to you, every crack of that couch was searched thoroughly. It was missing for a few weeks. Then our other remote went missing. I looked and looked. And guess what I found? The first remote, in a very shallow crack in the couch. I almost lost my ever-loving mind. Again, I SWEAR to you that I searched that couch, that CRACK SO well. The remote was not there. And then suddenly, months later, there it was. Practically lying on top of the couch.

That was the point that I felt something strange was going on. Anyway, I later found the second remote. Now our PS3 remote is missing. This time, we literally took the sectional couch apart and lifted it off the ground and moved it. There was a lot of stuff, but no remote. Again, we have looked everywhere possible and it is nowhere to be found. I know that people lose remotes. But my remotes seem to fall into the netherworld when they go missing. When I lose stuff now and I look everywhere and can’t find it, I always look, while laughing at myself, in the bathroom cabinet. I haven’t ever found anything in there since the first time, though.

I guess I will just have to wait for the PS3 remote to reappear on its own. Or, you know, with a little otherworldly help.

1 comment:

Randi Gardner said...

I 100% believe in ghosts. In fact I have a real hard time sleeping. I am so afraid of them. I'm with you. The light thing sounds so odd to me... more than the remote thing actually.