Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Day We Found Out

One day in October I told Cody that for dinner that night I wanted spaghetti with meat sauce. We usually have meatballs but this time I really wanted ground beef mixed in for some reason. Later that night I was in the office and Cody was in the kitchen starting dinner. Suddenly I smelled something awful. I realized it was the cooking meat.

Cody came into the office and I asked him if the meat smelled like it had gone bad to him. He said no, it smells fine. This excited me a bit. I told him that one of the top 10 signs of pregnancy is food aversions, specifically cooking meat. That night after wanting ground beef so badly, I had to try and pick around the meat to get some sauce. We both wondered and made plans to take a test the next day.

The next day we were going for a drive to see the autumn leaves. We got up that morning and headed out to Right Aid. We got a test and went about our day. We drove up to Cedar Mountain and the colors were beautiful. I collected some leaves to decorate my house. It was a lovely fall day.



Trees and sun 2

Throughout the day I kept coming back to the thought that I just might be pregnant. Was my life going to change that day? Would I cry when I found out? What would I feel if the test were negative? I prepared myself for either result and tried not to get my hopes to high, but I couldn't help but think about the very real possibility of a little one joining us and making us a family.

That night we got home. Cody started making some dinner and I quietly snuck away with my bag of pregnancy test paraphernalia. I closed the door of my room and went into the bathroom and took the test. I carefully set it down according to the instructions not wanting to mess something up. I counted in my head to 3 minutes and didn't let myself look down. Could I even look at it? This could either be life changing or heart-breaking.
My heart was pounding out of my chest. I considered that I might be having a small heart attack. Three minutes came and I picked up the stick that could change our lives forever.


I looked down and saw the little pink line that meant that the two of us were not alone that day on our autumn leaves drive.


I sat there and stared. I didn't cry, I didn't do anything but stare. I don't know if it didn't really hit me or if it didn't seem real or what but I was a little dazed for a moment. Now what? Now I tell Cody is what. And how would I do that? I would have to make it special for such a momentous...well... moment.

1 comment:

Katie said...

YAY! I love this story.